FABRIC & STITCHING
Get out your tools and join me for the recorded version of FABRIC & STITCHING: 1 of the 12 classes taking place as part of Mixed Media Mechanics - a once-monthly, year-long, live online workshop series.
Mixed Media Mechanics is a series of 12 2-hour workshops that focus on many of the techniques that are the basis for mixed media art. Think of these classes as back to basics - although they are geared equally toward beginners and seasoned pros.
The Fabric & Stitching class was held Live in October 2023. This is an edited and recorded version.
Fabric and hand stitching have always been a component of my mixed media work. In many ways, fabric can be interchanged with paper in many projects, adding texture, layers, and pattern. Hand stitching not only serves the functional purpose of adhering one thing to another, but it also adds dimension and texture and is a form of mark making.
In our technique-based workshop, we will take the basic ingredients of fiber art – fabric, needle, and thread – and use them in ways that will bring fiberosity to your mixed media creations. Through a series of demonstrations sharing with you the wonky ways that I use these materials, you will learn to create your own visual language. There is a brief review of the many aspects of fabric and thread relevant to mixed media art - including a share of the most common ways I alter fabric for my work, a show and tell of my artwork that includes fabric and stitching, and multiple work-along demos using paper, fabric, and hand stitching.
- The workshop is hosted on YouTube.
- The class includes about 1 hour and 39 minutes of instruction, broken down into 2 videos.
- Please note that this is a recording of a live online class and, as such, there may be references to questions asked and comments made by participants.
- Cost of the workshop is $35USD via PayPal only. Your PayPal receipt is considered confirmation that you registered.
- There are no refunds once registered.
- Once you complete your purchase, you will receive an email (from Janene Kalb and usually within 24 hours of registering) that includes a PDF in the form of an email attachment that includes the same supply list as printed below as well as instructions on how to access the workshop.
The Supply List
If you would like to work along with me, please have the following on hand. If you do not have all the supplies, please simply sit back and watch and decide at that time if you want to invest in the specific products needed. Please note that I may also use a number of other products not on this list. If you have them, you can grab them at class time. If you do not, you can always get them later if you like.
Needle and threads for hand sewing – a variety of sizes and colors
Beeswax block (or a candle) for coating thread
Embellishments and/or found objects - lightweight