Mini Book Madness: A recording of an online class orginally held via Facebook Live on May 27, 2020
To make things work smoothly, please read the following:
--In order for me to recognize you so that I can approve you for the group, you must include your FB name in the "Order Comments" section that you will see at the bottom of the checkout page as you continue through the registration process.
--Once you have registered, you need to request an invitation to become a member of the Facebook group in which the class is held. Search for the group called Mini Book Madness May 27 within Facebook and request your invitation.
Join me for a one-session, two-hour online class where we create a one-of-kind mini artist book. Measuring 2.5 x 2.5 inches when closed, we will build this book from scratch using basic materials and a no-sew binding. After learning the basic technique, you will be able to use it to easily create books of any size.
Once our books are bound and our covers are covered, we will move to the inside where I will demonstrate my approach to abstract collage. Given that the class is only two-hours, you will not have time to finish collaging all the pages in your book. But you will absolutely have time to complete the book structure, learn the collage techniques and start working on the pages.
The supply list can be found at the end of this description.
- The class takes place in a private Facebook Group that only includes paid attendees.
- You need to have a Facebook account to be able to participate.
- You can register at any time but will only have access to the class after I approve your group membership.
- The group will remain open so that you can go back and watch the video as often as you like.
- Consider the group your community, where you can ask questions and post pictures of your project.
- Attendance at the workshop costs $25USD. Payment is accepted via PayPal only. Your PayPal receipt is considered confirmation that you registered.
- There will be no refunds.
- Once you complete your purchase, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access a downloadable and printable PDF which includes the same info that you are reading now. (It is also stored in the Files section of your account page in my shop). You will need to click on the appropriate link in the email and you will be directed to the PDF if you already have an account on my site or directed to set up an account if you are new to my site.
The Supply List: The list looks long only because I wanted it to be detailed.
This class was designed to focus on basic supplies that you are likely to already have in your studio. Please note that I only include specific brands or individual item names to help clarify the supply. There is a great deal of flexibility built in, so feel free to substitute as desired. Anything goes and I want your book to reflect the artist that you are!
-Book covers: In advance of the class cut your choice of material for your covers into two 2.5 inch squares. You can use any sturdy material such as book board, chip board, the back of a pad or journal, a book cover from a hardback book, etc. Please note that I will only reference this size during the class and you will be on your own to determine sizing for other parts of this project should you chose to use a different size cover.
-Cardstock: Two or three sheets of standard cardstock (or 90lb watercolor paper). Please note you should choose a color(s) that you like as this paper will (potentially) not be fully covered in your final project.
-Adhesive: I will be using a glue stick for collage and PVA (traditional book binders glue) for the binding…but you can substitute any liquid adhesive (such as matte medium or other white glue) .
-Scissors and/or craft knife & craft mat.
-Pen or pencil: used to mark measurements so any fine point will do.
-Thin, lightweight paper that will be used to cover your covers. Make sure that you have a piece that measures about 8x8 inches or two pieces that are at least 6x6 each. You can use scrapbook paper, printer paper that you have decorated, book pages, vintage ledger paper, ephemera, etc. Please note that while we will add our own touches to this paper, you will be ahead of the game if you have paper already decorated to your liking to use for your cover.
-I will be using the following items to collage and decorate the pages (and optionally to add to the cover). Choose your favorite selection from all the following items:
-Stamps: Background and mark making stamps are good.
-Washi tape: Choose your favorite designs.
-Ink pads: Make sure you have some dye ink pads (such as Distress) but I will use both dye and permanent (such as StazOn or Archival).
-Mark Makers: Your favorite journal pens, pencils, paint pens, markers, crayons, etc. You really only need a few.
-Collage Paper: Anything goes. Scrapbook paper, painted paper, vintage book pages, ephemera, Gelli plate prints, paper scraps, etc. Remember that you don’t need much because we are working small.
-Collage Elements – I will use stickers and rub-ons but these are optional.