50 Ways to Leave Your Layer: A Compendium of Techniques
The Recorded Version of a Live Online Zoom Workshop with Seth Apter initially held on August 14, 2022 and currently being hosted on YouTube
Okay. Maybe not 50. But a lot. In this technique-based workshop, you will be putting your mixed media playlist on repeat as we go through a series of layering demonstrations using paint, other wet media, and collage – all of which you can apply to any of your creative projects. We will work through a stack of blank watercolor paper, applying both traditional and unexpected layering techniques. Some approaches will be quick and familiar, while others will be complex and innovative. Additive and subtractive paint techniques, properties of wet media, color mixing, principles of collage, mark making, texture development, tool usage, application strategies, and much more will be covered. As we move from technique to technique, we will be creating sheet after sheet of layered watercolor papers. These can be collected together to become a compendium or reference manual to guide you going forward or simply a large number of backgrounds that you can continue to work over after the class in your own personal style.
The supply list can be found at the end of this description.
- The workshop is hosted on YouTube.
- The class includes over 4 hours and 45 minutes of instruction, broken down into 7 videos.
- Please note that this is a recording of a live online class and, as such, there are references to questions asked and comments made by participants.
- Cost of the workshop is $110USD via PayPal only. Your PayPal receipt is considered confirmation that you registered.
- There are no refunds once registered.
- Once you complete your purchase, you will immediately receive an email with instructions on how to access a downloadable and printable PDF which includes the supply list and a summary of the techniques from the workshop. Within 24 hours of registering, you will receive a second email (from Janene Kalb) that includes the same PDF in the form of an email attachment (much easier) as well as instructions on how to access the workshop.
Student Supply List
I have listed both the general supplies and the specific supplies/brands I will be using (where applicable and in parentheses). Links to certain items in my online shop are also included. The supply list is long but most of the items are pretty common. Feel free to adjust/adapt your supplies where needed.
20-25 pieces of watercolor paper (140lb paper pre-cut into 6 x 6 inch squares)
Fluid acrylic paint - opaque and translucent (PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylic Paint)
Dye Spray Ink (Aladine Izink Dye Spray)
Chip brushes (1/2 and 1 inch brushes work well)
Water container and flat paint palette - palette paper, craft mat, or paper plate
5 or 6 sheets of collage paper that you typically use – could be vintage book pages, scrapbook paper, even printer paper
Ink Pads - dye-based and permanent (Ranger Distress and StazOn Solvent)
Embossed/textured materials (embossed wallpaper)
Unmounted stamps - background/mark making style
Stencils – background/mark making style
Black water-soluble pencil (Stabilo All)
Paper towel and baby wipes
Optional - Heat tool
Optional - Your current art journal if you have one